Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: House Hunter

Hi, I'm Visva-mitra, the old city guru. Although I love my luxurious life in the big city, I think it's time for me to make my move to a rural country life. As of right now I don't have any jobs lined up, so I have a pretty low budget, but I don't need much, just a bedroom, kitchen, electricity, internet (I have to be able to watch my Netflix!) and plumbing...oh and plenty of room to entertain my guests. Just kidding! I just need enough room for me because I'm a hermit and don't really want to deal with people for a while. If I could get a few upgrades like some granite countertops, hardwood floors that would be incredible. But, I definitely think my realtor will be able to help me find something well within my budget.

So today is the day that me and the realtor are going to go and look at a few different options for me and my new life. The first house was pretty nice. It was small and there weren't too many upgrades. Just the bare minimum, everything a hermit could ever need. The neighbors were all about a mile away from the house though, and that was a little too close for me. The next house was almost too much of a hermit hole for me. The house was maybe half the size of the first house and there was no way I could comfortably be in the bathroom, I always felt squished. I will say though that Debbie, my realtor, hit the price right on the nose. It was about half my budget, which is incredible. The third and final place we saw was spectacular. Brand new upgrades, the kitchen was beautiful, the bathroom was incredible, and the bedroom was spacious. It was almost like what I had in the city, expect on a smaller scale...and maybe not so luxurious. The best part about this house was the property that came with it. It sat on a two and a half square mile lot, and the closest neighbors were three miles away! Incredible! The only downside to the house was that the price was a little over my budget.

Once I saw all three houses, I knew it would be a difficult decision to choose the perfect one for me and only me. Do I go with number one, the quaint house that wasn't too special? Or number two, the house that looked like something the peasant people from the city live in? Should I dare with number three, in a house made for the city transported to the country? I decided to make my decision a little easier by removing number two. Even though I wanted to get away from the city, I didn't want to live like a poor man. So now the decision was between number one and number three. I could see myself being comfortable and enjoying life in both houses, so this really was the hardest decision of my life.
I finally came the decision and realized that house number three really screamed Visva-mitra! When I walked inside for the first time, I could see myself loving life here. I saw myself sitting on the sofa, reading a book or watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix. I could see myself cooking in the kitchen. And most importantly, I could see myself living peacefully, and alone, here with no one to bother me.


Author's Note
For this retelling, I decided to use Visva-mitra's story. In The Divine Archer the author never really touched on Visva-mitra's life other than the fact that he needed Rama to help him. I wanted to show him finding the perfect house to become a hermit in, and what show is better at helping people find their dream homes than 'House Hunters' on HGTV? I thought that having Visva-mitra being the buyer of a new property was the perfect platform to creating a backstory for him! 

Bibliography
The Divine Archer by F.J. Gould, online book
Logo for House Hunters, web source

4 comments:

  1. This was really interesting to read. You don't really think of a hermit buying a house and needing wifi and things like that. I like the modern twist you gave it and the way they spoke made it seem like it was happening today instead of what happened hundreds of years ago. Your comment about needing netflix and watching Orange is the New Black was great and something totally unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this story was so funny! I just kept picturing a man dressed in traditional Indian outfit talking and thinking like a classic millennial. I loved how you incorporated modern aspects but at the same time, you provided background into who this hermit was. Honestly, reading those stories, I was kind of confused on what a hermit was, and this gave me a glimpse into how they were. I like how you portrayed him from the first person. I felt like his personality was shown well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you write. It is easy to follow and makes me feel like I am sitting there and actually talking to the character. Not like I am reading a story, but like I am sitting and hanging out with a good long time friend and they are just telling me about their life and about their plans. I find it very refreshing. I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun read! It was interesting to see you transform an old epic into a modern yet still traditional type of story. I loved the way you wrote your story. It used simplistic words that got the point across which I appreciate. I lost it when I read the comment about watching Orange is the New Black! That addition to the story was quite the clever one! Overall, I loved the feel of your story and I hope to be able to read more of them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete