Sunday, September 4, 2016

Feedback Thoughts

The article that I really related to was the "5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ" article. Often times, I have difficulty taking feedback because I feel as though when people give me constructive feedback it is because they don't like me. The other article I related to was the "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset" article. I really liked how both of these articles were written in the form of tips and it was easy to see what I could be doing better in regards to feedback. One thing I really like in the "5 Tips" article was when they said that getting feedback and having growth areas is a good thing because it means you haven't reached your full potential. This was very helpful for me to read because it showed me that feedback isn't meant to push you back, but rather propel you forward and help you improve. I also really enjoyed the "mirror" theory in the "Be a Mirror" article. It really focused on the fact that feedback is for the person, not you. 
There have been a few times where I've had to give feedback  and peer-review in the school setting and it has been awkward because I'm friends with these people and now I'm telling them what they need to do better, even though it is suppose to help them. This was discussed in another article where people with lower self-esteem have a problem giving constructive feedback because they want people to like them, which is what I struggle with. 
Although getting feedback is always uncomfortable especially for me, it helps me because I know that the person is trying to help me, not hurt me, even if it takes me a while to figure that out. I think that some of the best strategies for giving feedback is to always remember that you are giving feedback to help the best, so focus on them and their work. You can also always use the pro-con-pro strategy if you're uncomfortable giving feedback that way you start with a pro, then get into what they need to work on, then end with a pro so that it has a positive vibe to the feedback.


(Get Feedback, Use Feedback Meme;





No comments:

Post a Comment