Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part C

As I continue reading The Ramayana, it is getting more and more thrilling. I cannot wait to figure out if Sita and Rama will ever be reunited, and if Rama will ever get to rightfully take his place on the throne.

While reading Part C of The Ramayana, I was fascinated by all the detail the author used in his writing. The part where the author discussed the fight that Vali and Sugreeva got into was so interesting. I really like how you could practically see what was happening, just by the description that the author gave. It is almost as if you were there watching Vali gang up on Sugreeva, then seeing Vali get shot by Rama.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the detail the author put into the story once the rains ceased. When he started discussing how all the animals were finally making their way out of the brushes and back into normal life, it is as if you were standing in the forest seeing it for yourself.



As I was reading Part C of The Ramayana, I started thinking about some changes that I could make to the story when it comes time for a retelling. They are as follows:
VI. Vali

  • I could rewrite the part of Sugreeva and Vali fighting to where they are in a boxing match with one another
  • I could also rewrite the same part as if Vali were a bully beating up Sugreeva and Rama coming in and saving the day with one swift punch to Vali's face, knocking him out
VII. When the Rains Cease
  • I could rewrite the part where Hanuman is searching for Sita with a "Dora the Explorer" feel to it, or something along those lines but perhaps a little older

Bibliography
Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide C
Painting of Vali, Web Source


No comments:

Post a Comment