Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part A

As we start reading the Mahabharata, I've decided to read the online PDE version of the Mahabharata. One reason I did this was that when we read the Ramayana, I chose to read Narayan's version. I really enjoyed this version, however I wanted to give the PDE version a chance to see different writing techniques then Narayan used. I also chose this version because it was free, this way I didn't have to go buy the book from either the bookstore, Barnes&Noble, Kindle, rent it from the library, etc. So for I've found that the Mahabharata is more difficult to read for me than the Ramayana was. The reason behind this is because there are so many characters in the Mahabharata, all with very similar names so it's hard to keep track of who is who.

While reading, I really enjoyed that the author decided to go into more detail about when Pandu accidentally killed the Brahmin and his wife. It made it very easy to understand what was happening and who died, unlike some of the other stories in this version of the Mahabharata. I also really like the way that the story of Amba was written. You could feel the pain that she felt when she was betrayed by her husband to be, the King of Shalwas. Another part of the story where I could feel the pain the character felt was in Drona's story when he was told that he wasn't actually friends with Drupada due to their financial standing. This was very sad and when the author said "Then abruptly he turned away, nor spake he in reply. His heart burned with indignation as he hastened out of the city." you can tell that he will make sure Drupada feels the way he made him feel.


As I was reading through part A, I came up with a few ideas I can use for my re-telling this week. They are as follows:
2. King Shantung and Ganga
  • Could write where Ganga gave birth and kept the babies
  • Could write where Ganga gave birth to stillborns
5. Bhishma at the Swayamwara
  • I could write the battle in a modern way, perhaps using a video game rather than actual battle
6. Amba 
  • I could write where Amba actually wanted to marry Vichitracirya rather than the King of Shalwas whom she had already promised herself to
8. Kunti and her Son
  • I could write from Kunti's point-of-view of what it was like for her to give her child up for adoption
10. Son of Pandu
  • I could write hoe Pandu dies in a freak accident rather than dying because he was cursed
13. Bhima and Nagas
  • I could write how Duryoshana accidentally ate the poison that he meant to give to Bhima
14. Drona, Son of Bharadwaha
  • I could write how the two friends started off hating each other but when the rich one became poor they became friends
  • I could set it back to the Great Depression when everyone was struggling
16. Ekalavya
  • I could write how he was already deformed and didn't need to cut off his thumb
17. The Contest
  • I like how this part was written in rhyme, and I could integrate that into my story

Bibliography
Public Domain Mahabharata, link to Reading Guide A
Painting of Ekalavya cutting off his thumb, web source

No comments:

Post a Comment