Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Story: Only One Time

After school, I decided to stop by the store and get a test. I knew what the answer was going to be. It had to be a negative. After all, it was just one time. We were at party, both drunk. It was a mistake, but nothing permanent would come out of it...it was just one time. We're only juniors in high school, sixteen-years old. We just got our licenses. There's no way. I haven't even taken my SAT test yet. I still have a year and a half left in high school, then my undergrad, then med school. There's no way. I just have to know for sure..but there's no way, it was just one time.

As I walk into the store, I can see it on everyone's faces. They know what I'm doing here, they know what I'm about to buy. I hope they all know the answer that I so clearly know. They can't be thinking any other way. I decided to go two towns over, just so I knew I wouldn't run into anyone I know here, pretty good thinking on my part if I do say so myself. I finally find the aisle and there are so many to choose from. Which do I choose? How many should I buy? Are the more expensive ones better and more accurate? Why am I here? I shouldn't be here, I'm only sixteen.

I decide to buy two different brands, just in case. People are watching. Maybe they think it's just for a friend, or even my mom. That's probably what they are thinking. They're thinking, "This girl is only sixteen. She has her whole life ahead of her. She will finish high school, go to college, and be successful in whatever field of study she chooses." Thank goodness I have cash on me because I don't know how I would explain a $20 shopping spree at the local grocery store two towns over to my parents. Should I take the test here? Do I go home? If I go home my mom will see it. But if I stay here, then people may see my tears. I shouldn't even have tears though because I'm only sixteen and it was only one time, so I ultimately decided to just take the test here.

I decided to take two tests, both different brands, just in case. It felt like I waited for ever and ever in that bathroom. Finally I looked down and the result was becoming clear. It was a negative, I knew it! I looked at myself in the mirror and just laughed, how could I ever think anything other wise. I'm just sixteen! I looked down at the tests, just to get one final look before I left and went home to my normal life. In that instant everything changed. The test was finished developing. The vertical line appeared. It was just one time. I am only sixteen. I am a mother.

Do I tell anyone? Do I wait? Do I get it "taken care of"? Do I keep it? Do I give it up? How will people look at me? How will my parents look at me? Should I tell him and see what he thinks? I am the only one who can come up with the answers to all of these questions. 

I throw the tests away and drive home. My mom greets me as she always does, she smiles, offers me food, asks how my day was. I lie obviously. I tell her I'm not feeling well and I head up to my room to rest a while. 

A week passes and I've barley eaten anything. I can't hold this secret in and hold down food. I finally decide to tell my mom. We both cried. She asked me why I would let something like this happen. She told me that I knew it only took one time. Then, she asked me what I wanted to do. I knew getting it "taken care of" wasn't an option. There was only keeping it or giving it up. I had nine months to decide, but I felt like once the decision was made there was no turning back.

Eventually people at school figured out. People starred. They stayed away as if it were contagious. Months passed and I hadn't made my decision. I thought every night, would I be able to take care of a child? Could I do go to school then come home and take care of another life? Could I even afford daycare? How could I, a child myself, raise a child of my own? I already love this child and I haven't even met it yet. I know that I could provide all the love the child would ever need in it's who life, but what about everything else? In that moment I knew what I had to do. I went downstairs to my mother with tears in my eyes telling her how much I loved this precious life inside of me. I told her how because I love this child, the best thing would be to put the child up for adoption. She held me as I wept into her arms.


Author's Note:
I decided to use the story of Kunti and her child for this week's storytelling. Kunti decided to give her child up and she floats him down the river and he lives a very good life with his new mother. I decided to modernize this story using the "16 and Pregnant" approach. She continues saying "it only happened one time" and " I'm only sixteen" to convey just how young she is and the invincibility principle many young people feel.

Bibliography
Public Domain Mahabhrata, Online source
Photo of a babies hand, Web Source

4 comments:

  1. This story was so completely engaging. Most of the time I have a difficult time keeping interest in stories and so I will generally just scan them to get the gist of what is going on, but I read this entire thing and wanted to cry right along with the characters. You do such an amazing job of writing in a way that really lets you feel what the characters are feeling and really lets you walk along with them as they go through their journeys. I absolutely love this and I cannot wait to read more of what stories you have hidden away in your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your story! It was completely relatable and modern which made it great to understand and follow. Usually I get bored or I lose interest but with this story, I wanted to know what happens next. I was anticipating the future of this story and visualizing it all happening in my head. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories as the class progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your style of writing although I was a little confused on your story. I thought that she had read that the tests were negative but then you actually ended up being pregnant? Maybe if you had provided a little bit of an explanation of her confusion as she started experiencing the symptoms, it would have made the news or her pregnancy not be so much of a shock to me. That is my only critique though because with everything else, I think you did an amazing job art capturing the fear in the mind of a young girl experiencing what she did. Great job with your story!

    ReplyDelete