Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part D

As I finished up reading Narayan's Ramayana I was very excited to see how it all would end. Would Rama defeat Ravana? Would they both live? Would Rama and Sita be reunited with one another? It was very fun to read and figure out the answers to all of these questions.

When Ravana was meeting with his council to decide what to do regarding Rama, the detail that was put into all of the conversations that were taking place was very realistic. His council was telling him so many different things, the way I feel like cabinet meetings go for the President. I thought it was very interesting that many of his councilmen were telling Ravana that he was in the wrong for holding Sita captive for so long, however in the end Ravana did as he pleased. I also think that it was admirable of Vibishana to stick up for himself and continue to believe that what Ravana did was wrong and seek asylum with Rama.

As the epic got into the battle sequence, it was very fun to read with all of the details the author put into it. I really felt like I was there watching the battle occur! Once it got to the final battle between Rama and Ravana, it was very interesting. It almost reminded me of the scene in Hercules where Hercules is fighting the Hydra where its heads keep coming back.

Once Sita and Rama were finally reunited, it was very disappointing that Sita threw herself in the fire, however I love that it all worked out and that Sita and Rama were able to end up together and rule the kingdom with one another. When Rama's father, Dasartha, came back to visit Rama, it was very emotional and I'm glad that he was able to forgive Kaikeyi like how Rama wanted.


(Rama and Lakshmana fighting Ravana;


While reading, I found a few things that I may want to incorporate while doing some of my retellings. They are as follows:
IX. Ravana in Council
  • I could rewrite the story to where Ravana is trying to win back the love of his life rather than take someone's love away from them
  • I could rewrite to where Ravana is battling Rama for land rather than a woman
  • I could rewrite the story to where Ravana is out Black Friday shopping and is trying to steal a great item from someone
X. Across the Ocean
  • I could rewrite where Vibishana is like Snowden seeking asylum after giving out a countries secrets
XI. Siege of Lanka
  • I could rewrite the story to where Kumbakarna is helping Rama rather than his own brother
XII. Rama and Ravana in Battle
  • I could rewrite to where the chariot races are like a Mario Kart or Nascar race
XIII. Interlude
  • I could rewrite the story to where Rama is so happy to see Sita and knows that she didn't do anything un-pure while being held captive, this way she doesn't have to throw herself into a fire
XIV. Coronation
  • I could rewrite the story to where Bharatha doesn't want to give up the crown to Rama

Bibliography
Narayan's Ramayanalink to Reading Guide D

Rama and Lakshmana fighting Ravana, Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment