Monday, October 31, 2016

Reading Notes: A Flowering Tree, Part C

For this reading notes, I decided to continue reading A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramanujan. The stories in this book are very fun and I would highly suggest reading them if you get the chance! I read stories thirteen through seventeen for this set of reading notes.

Many of the stories have very odd twists and turns especially at the very end of the story. Stories thirteen and fourteen both dealt with bad family relations. In story thirteen after two daughters were born to a dog, the older one ends up killing the dog mother in fear of anyone finding out she was born to a dog. This made me so sad, however the older daughter ended up getting exactly what she deserved since she ended up being killed by a snake. In story fourteen, a husband goes away to war and his wife is infatuated with his brother. When he doesn't accept her advances, she turns him into a dog. His brother ends up returning home from war and is able to turn his brother back into a human. After this, he ends up whipping his wife. Both of these stories are so violent and it shocked me when I was reading the stories. Although in both stories the women somewhat got what they deserved, it was disturbing to read this, especially since this story book is almost aimed towards children! However, it teaches very valuable lessons!


As I was reading, I was thinking about somethings I could write about for my stories this week. Here are a few ideas:
13. A Dog's Daughters

  • I could write from the view of the snake
  • I could write from the view of the dog
  • I could write from the view of the king/queens and what happened to their puppy children
14. A Dog's Story
  • I could write where he whips his brother instead
  • I could write where wife turns into dog
15. Dolls
  • I could write from dolls view
  • I could make the dolls even more creepy and have them kill
16. Double Double
  • I could give the story more detail
17. Dumma and Dummi
  • I could write where the fart doesn't scare the tiger, instead it gives them away and the tiger kills them both
  • I could write where the fart actually kills the tiger and wife

Bibliography
A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramamujan, Web Source
Creepy Doll, Online Source

No comments:

Post a Comment