Monday, October 24, 2016

Reading Notes: A Flowering Tree, Part B

For this set of reading notes, I continued reading A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramanujan. I read stories seven through twelve. Once again, I was amazed by this book. I love the way that these stories are told. I feel like I am reading fairy tales and watching characters come to life. As I was reading, I was getting a lot of great ideas about possible stories for both my storybook and weekly stories to write.

In The Clever Daughter-in-law I was amazed by how much damage the daughter-in-law could do. Obviously the mother-in-law and husband deserved getting schemed in the end. It is amazing all the things she could accomplish to make them fall to her and for her to be "ruler of the house." There was so much detail that was written in this story and I could just see it all playing out in front of me. I could see the statue of the goddess having it's hand over it's mouth and I could see the daughter-in-law beating the statue's head. Then, when it talked about how the daughter-in-law bit the robbers tongue off, I was so surprised and disgusted! It was truly a fantastic story.


As I was reading, I started thinking about ways that I could incorporate these stories into my writings. Here are a few things I came up with:

7. Cannibal Sister
  • I could rewrite about Betsey
  • I could write how Betsy is a demoness
8. Chain Tale
  • I could write how one thing always leads to another
9. Another Chain Tale: What an Ant can do
  • I could write about revenge/karma
  • Could write where the underdog wins
  • Could write my own chain tale
10. Clever Daughter-in-law
  • Can definitely use for storybook
  • Write Betsy as the daughter-in-law
11. Couple of Misers
  • I could rewrite where they touch things and they turn into different things other than rupees/growing in length
12. Dead Prince and the Talking Doll
  • I could write how the doll was possessed and killed the acrobat girl

Bibliography
A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramanujan, Online Source
Picture of an Ant, Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment