Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: A Flowering Tree, Part F

I once again continued reading A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India for today's reading. I read stories thirty-eight to forty-seven today. I feel as though these stories are a little less odd than some of the other ones I've read from this book. They usually always have a happy ending and don't have too many weird things happen throughout them.

One of the ones that I found very sad was "The Mother Who Married Her Own Son". This was one of the few stories that didn't have a happy ending in this set of stories that I read. I enjoyed however the way that the story was written. I like how she couldn't believe what her father told her, so she left the Godly world and came down to the human world and this ended up being how everything went so wrong for her. The way that the author wrote the story helped convey the pain that the mother felt when she gave birth to her son, and later found out that her son had become her husband.


As I was reading, I took notes of things that I could use in my writings:
38. A Minister's Word
  • I could write where the minister was the one who stopped the King from being killed
40. The Mother Who Married Her Own Son
  • I could write how the son/husband/brother wanted to marry her but she refused
41. Muddanna
  • I could simply rewrite this tale in my own words
42. Nagarani (Serpent Queen)
  • I could use this to write about Betsy's decision (or lack thereof)
44. Ninga on my Palm
  • I could write from the mother-in-law's point of view
46. An Old Couple
  • I could write how the old couple there parties every single night
47. The Past Never Passes
  • I could use this to write about how Betsy's "killer" past never left her

Bibliography
A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramanujan, Online Source
Photo of a Sari, Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment