Monday, November 7, 2016

Reading Notes: A Flowering Tree, Part E

For this part of this weeks reading, I continued my journey of reading A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India. I read stories thirty to thirty-seven. There are so many fascinating stories that are apart of this book. I will admit, some of them are very odd, but I don't like them any less! They definitely help me get a better feel for the Indian culture!

I love all f the detail that went into the Lamp Woman story. The whole story was very sad to me how she felt tormented by Mother Fate and felt that the only way out was to die. This seems as though it can relate back to today's culture with the high presence of suicide, especially within the young adult ages. Then, that after she tries to die she eventually lives with her sister-in-law, who torments her even more by shaving her head and lighting a fire atop her head.

I also really enjoyed the irony of the story about Hucca. It was his stupidity that actually led to the rest of his successful and comfortable life due to the fact that no one believed him about the gold and silver he found. It reminded me of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".


As I was reading through these stories, I started thinking of ways I could make them my own. They are as follows:

30. Hucca
  • I could write from Hucca's point of view
  • I could write from the towns people point of view
  • I could write where the brothers tried to trick Hucca into doing something for them
31. The Husband's Shadow
  • I could write from the shadow's point of view
32. In the Kingdom of Foolishness
  • I could make the tale more modern
33. In Search of a Dream
  • I could write where the princesses don't actually return to their original form, in other words they actually die
34. King and Peasant
  • I could write from the peasant wife's point of view
35. Kutlavva
  • I could write from the strangers point of view
36. The Lampstand Woman
  • I could switch genders
  • I could write more modern where the princess goes mad
  • I could write how the princess has depression

Bibliography
A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales from India by A.K. Ramanujan, Online Source
Photo of silver and gold coins, Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment