Monday, August 29, 2016

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part A

One of the major things that really struck me while reading part A of the Ramayana was the dedication that the King, Dasaratha, had to his kingdom. You can tell that he truly loves his kingdom and will do whatever is best for the people. This is why he was so happy when people were so overjoyed by the King's decision to appoint Rama to take over the throne.

I loved that you could feel the pain that both Rama and Sita felt when they saw each other for the first time. You could tell how they longed for each other after only one glance at one another. That is why when Rama was able to string the bow that once belonged to Shiva unlike any other of Sita's suitors, it was so rewarding to know that they could officially love each other and get married. I wish that I was able to read the unabridged version where they went into detail of the wedding scene with all of the beautiful details of how the pavilion, decorations, and other things at the wedding looked.



A few things that I picked up on while reading part A that I may want to use during my retelling are the following:
I. Rama's Initiation
  • I could write a story where Dasaratha is sending Rama and Lakshmana off to college
  • I could give the Ramayana a Hunger Games feel in regards to Rama killing Thataka
    • The whole kill or be killed aspect
  • Azalea's story could be told as if she were a child who was adopted by Brahma and her biological father is Indra
II. The Wedding
  • I could rewrite Sita and Rama's story from each other's perspective and really go into detail 
  • I could also rewrite Sita and Rama's story as if they met each other at a party
  • Instead of a bow, it could be written as if Rama had to solve an equation or a riddle in order to win Sita's hand in marriage 
III. Two Promises Revived
  • I could make the part with Kaikeyi about making Bharatha be King and forcing Rama into exile be like Snow White
    • Kooni is like the mirror on the wall in this case

Bibliography
Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide A
Rama placing a flower crown on Sita's head, Web Source

No comments:

Post a Comment